§ 1¾ cup (260g) plain flour, plus extra for dusting
§ ½ cup (75g) self-raising flour
§ 185g unsalted butter, chilled, cut into small pieces
§ 1/3 cup (75g) caster sugar
§ 2 eggs
§ 1 tablespoon chilled water
§ 1 tablespoon milk
§ Demerara sugar or caster sugar, to sprinkle
§ Ice-cream, to serve
§ 45g unsalted butter
§ ½ cup (110g) caster sugar
§ 8 large Granny Smith apples
§ Juice of 1 lemon
§ ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
§ 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Sift flours and a pinch of salt into a large mixing bowl. Add butter and rub lightly into flour with your fingertips. Lift mixture high above the bowl as you rub, to incorporate air into the pastry and make it lighter. Continue until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs, then stir through sugar. Lightly beat 1 egg with 1 tablespoon chilled water, then drizzle over flour mixture. Start to bring the dough together by cutting the liquid into the dough with a blunt knife, then form into a smooth ball with your hands, adding a little more water if necessary. Divide dough into two pieces, one slightly larger than the other. Wrap in plastic wrap, and chill for 30 minutes.
2. To make the filling, peel and core the apples, and cut each into 8 pieces. Toss immediately with lemon juice in a large bowl, to prevent apples from discolouring. Place the butter and sugar in a large frypan over medium-low heat. When butter has melted, add apples and spices, then stir to coat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until apples have softened. Set aside to cool.
3. Roll out the larger pastry ball on a floured workbench to a 30cm circle (about 2mm thick). Roll pastry around rolling pin, then unroll over a 22cm metal pie dish. Gently press into corners and allow excess to overhang. Place filling in base with a slotted spoon. Roll the small pastry piece to a 25cm circle. Beat remaining egg with milk, brushing some on rim of the base. Top with small pastry.
4. Lift the pie dish and cut excess pastry from edges with a sharp knife. Crimp edges of pastry together with the tail of a spoon. Chill for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 180C, place pie dish on a baking tray and cut/stab air vents in the centre of the pie. Brush top of pie with more beaten egg, sprinkle with demerara or caster sugar and bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown.
5. Serve warm or cold with ice-cream.