In addition to being an accomplished coach, George also boasts some impressive culinary skills! After a busy day coaching at Chatham Park, he turns to a tried and tested recipe that’s a little different to the average winter soup…
2 large brown onions
2 tins of red kidney beans
1 tin diced tomatoes
1 litre of chicken stock
1 ham hock
Chilli flakes (optional)
Salt and pepper
Sour cream and/or white vinegar
1. Chop up the onions, and finely slice the carrots and parsnips.
2. Place the onions, carrots and parsnips in a heavy based pot with some olive oil, and gently soften. Add four teaspoons of smoked paprika.
3. Add the red kidney beans, canned tomatoes and garlic, and then the salt, pepper and chilli flakes to taste. Bring to a simmer.
4. Add the chicken stock and ham hock.
5. Bring to the boil, and then simmer for an hour until the ham hock meat is tender and just about ready to fall off the bone.
6. Take out the ham hock, remove and discard the skin; dice the meat into cubes and return to the pot.
7. Serve with a dollop of sour cream! EQ