Directors are appointed for three years, with a maximum of three terms allowed. The Nominations committee will determine the terms of interim directors to ensure that three retire at each AGM in 2021, 2022 and 2023. The chair will retire at the 2023 AGM, thus ensuring continuity of leadership.
Applications are now open for the new board and must be submitted by 10 September 2020. The Nominations Committee members have been announced and the committee will shortly evaluate candidates against a skills matrix.
• State branches will continue their delivery of services during the reform process.
• Affiliations with the FEI and AOC will be restored.
• The power for the reform of the sport will rest with the sport itself.
THE KEY NEGATIVES ARE:
• The state branches retain a right of veto over changes to EA’s constitution, which was not the understanding of most members when they voted for the DOCA. If in the future a state chooses to ignore the members’ vote then state SGMs will be on the agenda.
• The reality of the compromises in the process means that all stakeholders are required to exercise patience to enable the complexities of reorganising the governance and operations of the sport to be undertaken by the new board.
SO, WHAT’S THE SCORECARD?
In my view the answer is with the POSITIVES – a clear majority of members want change and this DOCA delivers that.
Is this a perfect outcome? No it’s not, but importantly members will have a direct vote, board independence is assured and the sport has the wherewithal to deliver the members’ mandate for change.
It’s time to look ahead and grasp this opportunity for wholesale reform of the sport and let’s tick the wins on the way forward. It’s time to boot the naysayers out of the room!
It’s a time for trust, cooperative thinking and a large dose of commonsense as the complexities of the reform are resolved.
To access key documents and further information regarding Equestrian Australia’s administration process, please refer to From the Chairman in the August edition of Equestrian Life. EQ
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE TO READ:
A new EA for all of us, hopefully (Ryan’s Rave by Heath Ryan)